Saturday, March 17, 2012

There Will Always Be Time

   

If this were my last year here, would I really be in Ikea?  I can't just post a simple trip for a dresser on my blog, can I? I'm supposed to be living every minute as if it were my last.  


I overhear a mother and daughter discussing which mirror would compliment the carpet color they've selected. While listening to them talk I find myself wondering if it really matters. For a moment, I felt removed from everything around me. Was anyone concerned with what is supposed to happen?  I was curious. 
 

I told my wife I would be right back. The look on her face was one of confusion. She could tell the wheels were spinning, but she's used to this. I hit the warehouse section and it was business as usual.

A woman kindly asks if this is the line for checkout. She knows the answer is "yes", but is still stunned by the response.



I pass those fortunate enough to have missed the wait by minutes......


And then I see the one thing everyone is waiting for.  An exit.  Everyone behind me wants to be where I am right now, but they have to go through that one last obstacle. I pause for a minute and think of what Ikea will be like on Dec. 21st 2012 if the world does end. I think about how clueless we are, then decide I need to tell my wife we can't spend our time like this.  Time is too precious.  As quickly as I can, I run up to find her...


She turns to me, smiles, grabs my hand and pulls me to look at something.  "What do you think?" she says as she plops on a sofa.  "Isn't it wonderful?"  I can't help but smirk.  I sit next to her, she rests her head on my shoulder and says "Sit here with me."

I look at her, smile, and put my feet up.  I was no longer concerned.  Suddenly, I had all the time in the world.......







 

2 comments:

  1. Time is relative. There is never enough time to get everything done, never enough time to get "it" right, but there is always time to prioritize.

    ReplyDelete